Sunday, November 07, 2004

The Incredible Review

I managed to see The Incredibles this weekend with some awesome peops (they were nice enough to wait for me as I rushed home from drill). The name of the movie describes it well. It's one of the best superhero movies ever made. The animation is the best I've seen from Pixar. It seems they improve with every movie they make, and it shows.

It helps that the movie was written and directed by Brad Bird, the writer and director of another favorite of mine, The Iron Giant. I didn't find it as funny as previous Pixar offerings, but there was a lot more action. The story itself reminds me of the Golden Age of superheroes with a modernized twist. The twist being the lawsuits that force the heroes into hiding permanently in their secret identities. It's also more mature than other Pixar films, and deserves it's PG rating, as it continuously mentions and implies death. I don't remember a film geared towards kids where a grown man (or henchman) punches a ten year old kid in the face. The big city fight scene near the end of the film was one of the best choreographed and intense fight scenes I've seen in a superhero film!

Though what I like best about the movie were the characters. The voice actors did a remarkable job of bringing these unique characters to life. Each character had his or her own personality, and may even seem more human than most superheroes portrayed BY humans in live-action films. My favorite though, had to be Frozone, a hero with Iceman-like powers voiced by none other than Samuel L. Jackson. He's just so cool! A second favorite would have to be Elastigirl, the mother of the group.

This review can be summed up in one sentence: The Incredibles is a great film and lives up to it's expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment