Friday, December 31, 2004

2004: Year in Review

Well, today is the last day of 2004, so I thought I'd reflect on what happened in the past year. Quick mention of 2003 as well, just to compare.

In 2003 I was activated to take part in Operation Iraqi Freedom, and sent to Virginia to prepare for my deployment to Kuwait, which never happened. I was tied to the Army from January to November, performing somewhat random tasks. As you can imagine, being away from home and out of college for a year, took a lot out of me. In a year of a hurricane, fights I did not want to get involved in, war, and other things I can't talk about, 2003 was possibly the worst year of my life. It wasn't all bad though. The good points were buying a new car, getting promoted, immunization of Anthrax, reinforcing my relationship with a dear friend, and the good times I spent with my comrades.

2004 saw my return to school, which took a slight adjustment period but I managed to integrate myself back into the curriculum. I started getting familiar with Photoshop and learned more about drawing the human figure, thanks to all the naked people lying about. I also joined a gym, but only for about six months due to time constraints and distance of the gym in relation to my house. Over the summer I went to the Outer Banks with me best mate and some of the most amusing people I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. I almost moved out, but thought better of it in order to save money. I drastically limited my comic book buying, which helped when I bought a new computer and digital camera. (What was that about saving money?) With the new computer I also managed to get Adobe Photoshop, which has come in handy many times. I finally made my own action figure after delaying it for a couple years, although truthfully it isn't finished yet. I've also started this blog! The following semester I got my first 4.0 ever. I managed to ice skate without falling. Unfortunately, it wasn't a perfect year. The recent tsunami in Asia that killed over a hundred thousand people, the division of the country when it comes to politics, the war in Iraq still causing the deaths of US soldiers and Iraqi civilains, the death of Christopher Reeve, among other things.

But what's most significant about 2004 for me is that I believe this year, I've determined what kind of person I want to be, and this is the closest I've ever been.

It was a good year for me, all things considered.

Still don't have a girlfriend though.

2 comments:

  1. Ah 2003. When I think of that year I think of...door knobs (Pat knows about that one but don't ask), playing pickup sticks on a horrible scale after the hurricane, coughing non stop for several months for reasons I still haven't figured out and being forced to share a bathroom with way too many guys. Every other year, in contrast to 2003, isn't so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tony. I'll never look at a doorknob the same way again.

    ReplyDelete