Thursday, January 06, 2005

The Project That Was Never Finished

Following up on the promise to myself to showcase more of my art, I reached in the vault and pulled this out.

As some of you know, I wrote, illustrated, and produced a small 12 page comic or zine titled simply "PAT" to give to some of my friends. It was originally made for a class assignment, but got such positive feedback I pimped it for all it was worth. Penciled on computer paper and reproduced at Kinko's, it told a quick story of my comic-self's adventure at the mall.

I decided I was going to make a sequel not intended for a grade, but didn't have a story. Then I was activated. When not doing Army related things, I had plenty of free time to develop the comic. It took me about a month to finish in a little sketchbook. However, I never took the initiative to reproduce it and compose multiple copies. One reason was that I didn't have the proper tools to format the pages at the time. When I tried to copy it, the drawings were too light, and I didn't want to bother retracing the lines. Another reason is it ended up being twice as long as I intended. And well, I've just had other things to do. Most of the time.

Anyway, here's the cover to the second comic.





As you can see, the story was based within the concept of my activation. The guys behind me are Kevin and Tony, two good buddies of mine whom I deeply respect. Kevin is a sergeant now. Tony is almost out, lucky dog.

Now that I have Photoshop, I suppose I could work on it again, but who knows?

This isn't the first sequel of mine to never be finished. I was writing a sequel to my 200 page graphic novel until I couldn't work my way out of my own plot holes. Hey, I wrote the thing 4 years ago. And my grammar sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment